Test Glaze: 2

After my first batch if test tiles I did feel as though I was left a little underwhelmed. I spoke to Matt about this and how I could mix up some more glazes. This problem mostly boiled down to the glazes not being thick enough, being a little wishy-washy and the colours not pairing up together too well. I wanted to test another batch of tiles however this time applying my glaze much thicker in order to see if I will be able to get my desired colours. To do this me and Matt decided to removed a little water from my jar once all the ingredients had settled at the bottom. Once shaken this will then make my glazes much thicker and easier to apply.

After getting the second batch out of the kiln I felt much better. Before, in order to be able to get orange and yellow glazes, I simply applied a white base glaze and then added a colour stain over the top. This gave me very acid yellows which I decided were too bright and intense for what I actually wanted to get. I asked Matt what he thought I should do in order to achieve a darker yellow than that, one that is a little richer in colour and sits closer to mustard or golden, and we made up some recipes there and then. Using around 95% of Earthenware Transparent glaze, I then either added 2% or 3% (to make a totoal of 100%) of yellow stain, yellow ocre or rutile. The tile labelled (1) is using mostly yellow stain. Again this tile is a little too bright for my liking. Tile (2) is mostly yellow ocre. This is getting there; I do like this tile as it has a hint of playfulness with it, and paired with the right blue could make up a strong colour scheme. And then finally we have tile (3) which is mostly rutile. This is my favourite of the bunch and shall be using this glaze on my final pieces.

I also re-tested two of my previous blue glazes. I wanted to apply the glaze thicker in order to see if this would be more successful. With the tile labelled (4), this came off much too thick and the glaze seems to have struggled to melt into the tile and form a glazed surface. Due to this I will have to do a third test in order to reach the right thickness, as it is just too risky to jump straight to glazing the final piece without being sure of the correct thickness. The other blue tile, labelled (5) is also another re-test. I wanted a dark but vibrant and electric blue, and I wanted to see if this would blossom more with a thicker layer, however on this test it seems to have formed a green layer covering the blue beneath it. Now I don’t really know why, I’m unsure if this is a burn or just how these chemicals react together, but I shall also test this piece again to confirm.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s