Recipes + Results

IMG_1719

I decided to get myself a nice little recipe book for all of the recipes to write down that i’m most likely going to come across and want to remember, and hope not to lose. I began looking for my recipes online at first so that I would be able to get a strong idea of what the colours would come out like with there being photo’s of the results. Then I came across  this amazing website that has really helped me out when it came to finding recipes and having examples: Ceramic Arts Daily. This website offers so many helpful tips and tricks when it comes to all things ceramic. Upon signing up to the website, they immediately offered me a free PDF booklet of 15 low-fire glazes. Due to the type of clay that I am working with, I required low-fire glazes. These are usually ranging between 1060 – 1120 degrees (cone 04 – 02). I really took to about 5 or 6 of the recipes that were in this booklet, so I printed them off and stuck them into my own recipe book. Here are recipes of the glazes I mixed up:


 

1: Love Child (Mark Burleson) 

25.9%   Lithium Carbonate

16.1%   Barium Carbonate

40.2%   Potash Feldspar

4.5%     Whiting

8.9%     China Clay (EPK)

4.5%   Quartz (Silica)

FOR BLUE, ADD:

1%       Colbalt Carbonate

1%       Copper Carbonate

2%       Rutile


 

2: Love Child Strontium Rev

27%       Lithium Carbonate

12.5%   Strontium Carbonate

41.9%   Potash Feldspar

4.6%     Whiting

9.3%     China Clay (EPK)

4.5%     Quartz (Silica)

FOR TURQUIOSE, ADD:

1-2%     Copper Carbonate

1-2%       Rutile


 

3: Love Child Spodumene 

26.2%   Spodumene

12.6%   Strontium Carbonate

42.3%   Potash Feldspar

4.7%     Whiting

9.4%     China Clay (EPK)

4.8%     Quartz (Silica)

FOR TURQUIOSE, ADD:

2%        Copper Carbonate


4: Majolica Glaze (White base glaze)

66%   High Alkaline Frit

17%   Soda Feldspar

6%    Nepheline Syenite

11%   China Clay

ADD:

5%      Tin Oxide

10%    Zirconium Silicate

2%     Bentonite

(For colour, apply stains over)


These are the first four glazes that I mixed up and applied on to my test tiles. They all ended up to mix in the pretty same colour once finished, almost like a light grey/pale blue. I put my labels on the jars and I also printed out the colours from the booklet examples and put them on my jars too in order to remind myself of which glaze fires to which colour. When I got the results of my first batch of test tiles, I have to be honest I was not over the moon. I applied my glazes mostly with a brush, so when my tiles came out they were rather patchy and wishy washy. When applying them I was hoping they would be much thicker and also solid colours. This goes for all colours, including the yellow and orange. Out of my 3 blues that I mixed, there was only one that stood out to me. It fired as a lovely smooth turquoise/teal. Another blue, which I expected to be much darker came out as a rather light pale blue. And finally the darkest of all glazes turned out to be rather close to my expectations. The yellow and orange came out rather disappointing also. When creating and researching for a yellow glaze, I was hoping for a more mustard and ocre yellow, however the stains that I applied over the top of the white base glaze came out of the kiln pretty much the same as how they looked before firing. Before firing, the yellow was rather bright and almost neon/acid yellow, and I thought that after firing it would grow darker however it did not. I took all my tiles to Matt to have a chat to him  about the results and to see what we could do next. He took one look at the tiles and noticed what I was saying about the glazes being rather wishy-washy, and he asked to see my jars of glazes. He knew instantly that there was too much water in my mix, so we poured a little but of it out and stirred it all up again. We did this with all of the blue glazes. I spoke to Matt about the yellow and orange and how I wasn’t feeling too happy about them and we began to speak of mixing up the recipes a little, I made notes. The next step is to re-test my glazes, with a few changes made. Here is a photo of my first batch of results:

 

test tiles 1

Test Glazes (1)

Along side looking online, I stumbled across this wonderful book in the library. I had only been in there for about 5 minutes, and I looked at the bookcase that has the most recent books on there, and there it was waiting for me! This book taught me a lot about how to prepare my ceramic works and what to expect from glazing, but most of all it supplied me with a great amount of artists that work closely with glazing, with the last half of the book being full of inspiration.

ceramicsbook

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s